Spinal laminoplasty is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that aids in expanding the spinal canal and keeping the posterior elements of the vertebrae open to avoid compression of the spinal cord. Laminoplasty procedures provide long term relief from neck and back pain caused due to spinal stenosis. It helps in preserving motion in the cervical spine and stability of the spine thereby enabling enhanced mobility post-surgery. Growing geriatric population suffering from degenerative disc disease and spondylolisthesis is increasing the risk of spinal stenosis propelling the demand for spinal laminoplasty procedures.
The Global Spinal Laminoplasty Market is estimated to be valued at US$ 5.75 BN in 2024 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 4.3% over the forecast period from 2024 to 2031.
Key players operating in the Global Spinal Laminoplasty market are DePuy Synthes, Zimmer Spine, Medtronic, Raymedica, Replication Medical, Vertebral Technologies, NP Solutions, Arthro Kinetics, Pioneer Surgical Technologies, Cryo Life, and Synthes Spine.
The rising popularity of minimally invasive spinal surgeries and growing awareness about spinal disorders is creating new opportunities for market players in the emerging economies. Technological advancements in 3D printing and navigation systems have enabled precise lamina reconstruction and improved clinical outcomes post laminoplasty procedures.
Rising geriatric population suffering from various spinal disorders including spinal stenosis is a major driver for the spinal laminoplasty market. As per estimates, over 12% of people above 60 years of age suffer from some form of spinal stenosis globally. Growing obesity rates leading to increased risks of spine degeneration is another factor fueling the demand for laminoplasty procedures. Furthermore, availability of reimbursement for spinal fusion surgeries in developed countries is positively impacting the market growth.
Current challenges in Spinal Laminoplasty market
The spinal laminoplasty market size is facing numerous challenges which can hinder its growth potential. Some of the major current challenges are:
1. High cost of spinal laminoplasty surgeries: Spinal laminoplasty procedure involves high costs associated with implants, medical devices, and hospital stay which makes it unaffordable for many patients. This restricts the access to quality care.
2. Lack of skilled medical professionals: There is a severe shortage of neurosurgeons skilled in complex spinal procedures like laminoplasty across many regions. This affects the timely treatment of patients especially in remote areas.
3. Requirement of long-term follow ups: Spinal laminoplasty usually requires long term physiotherapy and follow ups to assess outcomes which increases the overall treatment costs. This discourages some patients and physicians.
4. Requirement of new technology and innovations: There is a need for novel medical devices, implants and surgical techniques to achieve better clinical outcomes with minimally invasive procedures. This requires continued research investments.
Strength: Advances in 3D printing technology have enabled customized implants tailored for each patient’s anatomy. This improves procedural efficacy and outcomes.
Weakness: Lack of reimbursement coverage and policies discourage the widespread adoption of spinal laminoplasty especially in developing nations.
Opportunity: Growing geriatric population prone to spinal disorders present a vast untapped market potential.
Threats: Competitive pressure from alternative minimally invasive fusion surgeries can affect the laminoplasty market share over time.
North America currently dominates the global laminoplasty market in terms of value share attributed to availability of advanced healthcare facilities and high acceptance of novel spinal procedures among surgeons as well as patients in the US and Canada.
Asia Pacific region is poised to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period owing to rapidly growing medical tourism industry in countries like India and China, and increasing healthcare spending on chronic disease management.
- Source: Coherent Market Insights, Public sources, Desk research
- We have leveraged AI tools to mine information and compile it